intro


Hi and welcome to my blog, which is composed mostly of 'Favourite List' style posts.
Check the BLOG ARCHIVE for a chronological list of my posts or click here to go straight to my first list :D

Wednesday 3 February 2016

My Top 10 cds from The Wu-Tang Clan

man, I love this legendary hip hop crew. I used to really love them back in my early teens! I remember buying the cd The Rza hits back in 1999 (I was 16 or so) and thinking, 'yup, this is very good'. I had listened to other hip hop from around that day e.g.EPMD, Tribe called quest, Busta Rhymes but Wu-Tang was the best. Then of course I started listening to 2pac, DMX and stuff.

1. Enter the 36 Chambers
the first strike, many people still say the best! Was so good, especially when it came out. This cd needs to be in everyone's collection whether you like hip hop, rap, rock, pop, dance or anything! Well maybe not if you like only pop xD

2. Raekwon Only built for Cuban linx
I've often said this is the best cd out of Wu-Tang, ever put out. And I'd probably stand by this :)
It's a classic for sure, and has survived right up to forefront of music today.

3. Gza Liquid Swordz
Along with the last 2 albums listed, this is the 3rd first-wave Wu album in my top 10. Like the above 2 pretty much essential, everyone knows this was 1 hell of an album where Gza rapped as best as he ever could. I have the Gza album after this one also ('Beneath the Surface'), which I have to say is excellent also, though I was put off at first by silly, annoying skits on that album hehe.

4. Wu-Chronicles
2 of the 16 tracks are direct duplicates of songs found in the above 2 albums, however the other 14 tracks makes this album worth getting. Volume 2 was also excellent!

5. Ghostface Supreme Clientele
Gone for Ghostface's second release, which I'd say is better than his first album. Too many great songs on here, with a fantastic flow from the high-pitched sounding Wu-member. Just a shame that the version of Ghostdeini on this is the inferior remixed version, the original (only found on Canadian versions of the album apparently bizarrely so) was much better!

6. The Definitive Ol' Dirty Bastard Story [CD + DVD]
the best songs from the ODB (r.i.p.) and also includes a great read about the history of ODB and the Wu in the booklet. It also has a DVD of a couple of music videos and little interview which is kinda cool.

7. Method Man Tical 2000 Judgement Day
man, this album was so good. Like Ghostface before, I believe it was even better than Method Man's debut, though I understand I maybe in the minority there! It's basically a team-up album with the Wu-Fam rapper Streetlife who is also an excellent rapper.

8. Wu-Tang Forever
"It's yours - double LP from Wu-Tang Clan!" Rza raps in 'It's Yourz' the last track on the first disc of this album. And thanks Rza! Yup this album is great indeed haha. Get the international version if you can it comes with an extra song by Rza called Sunshower, which is a good song (also some remix song which isn't that good). The Wu-Tang Clan album after this one ('The W' it was called), was actually kinda rubbish I thought. They picked it up again with 'Iron Flag' (their 4th album) which was great, but this 'Wu-Tang Forever' makes my number 8.

9. Killah Priest The Offering
Technically this guy is a Wu-Family member (not a Clan member) but I had to put this album on there. It's really, very good! The song Standstill with one of my favourite and best rappers on the planet (Immortal Technique) is mind-blowing.

10. Ghost Dog soundtrack
Topping off my list is the Rza produced Ghost Dog soundtrack. Fantastic, featuring not only very good songs from Clan and Fam members, also really good rappers not in Wu, but similar to them. Cool quotes from Ghost Dog, from the film also. The amazing North Star & Rza track 4 Sho Sho alone means this had to make the list!

some runners-up:
Wu-Tang Clan Old School Kung-Fu dvd
Disciples Of The 36 Chambers: Chapter 2 dvd
Method Man & Redman - Blackout
Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance
Wu-Tang The Sting
Shyheim - Manchild
Sunz of Man - The Old Testament
Killarmy - Dirty Weaponry
Bobby Digital presents: North Star 


I met DJ Westwood a few years ago, I listened to tunes like this alot on his radio show




No comments:

Post a Comment